Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving and Emma Update

November 22

As I write this, Jonathan is undergoing a bronchoscopy and another chest x-ray due to a confirmed diagnosis of valley fever. I'm glad they are finally treating him for what is wrong, as they had been treating him for pneumonia for the past week and he's been pretty ill for a few weeks. This is definitely not where I wanted us to spend our Thanksgiving, but I am so grateful and happy that he is (fingers crossed) on the road to recovery. The past few weeks have been incredibly draining on all of us, including Emma. Luckily, valley fever is not contagious to any of us, so as soon as we get him out of the hospital, we can all be together.

Emma, on the other hand has changed so much in the last month. She talks constantly and is starting to parrot everything we say. Her current favorites are "Papa so silly", "Daddy at home?", "Sit, Puppa" and the famous "bye, bye thank you!". She adds to her vocabulary everyday and I've learned I have to be careful as to what I say because she picks things up really fast. She's so creative and imaginative and she has the iPad completely figured out. She does flashcards on it and is recognizing a lot of things. She also does this Poltergeist-y growl which is pretty funny, especially in large crowds. She has the same growl for a lion, tiger, hippo and any other animal that she is unsure of. She likes to put her finger to her mouth and say, "Hmmmm" just to be a silly kid. She's in a routine and knows key commands (that totally makes her sound like a dog). For example, I'll ask her if she's ready or wants to eat and she will go to the table and attempt to get in her chair. She knows to tell me when she is done.


We've had a few milestones like giving up her bottle and in turn, giving up all milk. She also only has her pacifier at night, which is going to be going away this next month. Her hair has to be combed and done everyday because if it's not, it's out of control. She hates wearing dresses unless she has leggings underneath.

Jonathan's Masters program is moving along and he is really enjoying it. He will make a great administrator one day, whether it's a principal or a coordinator.

Continued November 25...

What a crazy week/weekend we've had. Jonathan was released from the hospital last night with a slew of follow-ups from different doctors, scheduled tests, and what seems to be an entire pharmacy. If valley fever was a man, I'd kick it in the junk. It's going to be a long recovery, but at least we have a diagnosis and a plan of action. He's going to try a few half days at work to see how he handles it. I think he's just tired of being tired and pent up.

Emma stayed with my parents and my sister for a few days, and when she came back she was paci free. We have had no issues with putting her down to sleep. Thank God. Now, the only thing we need to get rid of is diapers.  Thank you Mamacita and Tabby! Paci free is the way to be!

I'm awfully thankful for the friends who stepped up to help us this weekend. It was amazing to come home and have delicious food in our fridge to feed the family. I am so glad for Chrissy and Justin. Words are not enough to express that gratitude. I'm thankful for Jon and Cara's company and laughter. I'm thankful for Sarah for getting my room in order and taking a lot of worry off my plate about work. I'm thankful that Erika kept reminding me that she was there for me.

I'm forever grateful for my parents and sisters, who for the past few weeks have swooped into action without question. The love is felt. I'm also thankful for the few hours I spent with my family on Thanksgiving. It's nice to have a distraction... and a fun one at that. I'm so happy that my sister lives a half mile away, and that my other sister provides a nice distraction for Emma. I'm also so happy that my "brother" came home for the holiday.

It's times like this where you start to reevaluate your time, energy and how you treat yourself. There will be a lot of changes here at the Schley house, and all for the better. I'm just so happy to have my husband, Lou, and Kobe all under one roof. It was so obvious how much Emma missed her daddy. When we went to visit him, all she wanted to do was lay on his chest. She said "daddy" about a thousand times. She is so happy to have him home, but really is not allowing him much rest!

Oh, and I also got our Christmas cards order. Mama-1, Holidays-0. (Sorry, I'm slightly proud of that)

Make sure you are thankful for all that you have, and even when days seems hopeless, there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.